Inclusion Counselors will work closely with the Inclusion Director and must be flexible with their schedule in order to work in either the Day Camp or Overnight Camp setting depending on the need. Responsibilities will focus on creating an environment of inclusion, acceptance, and encouragement for a camper that will need additional assistance for their camp experience. This counselor will also assist the cabin/camper group to recognize their roles in creating a whole group experience. Counselors role model for all campers choices that will help all young children to become successful, confident and caring as they mature. There is no bad child…
All Counselor positions require:
1. Putting forth an honest effort, admitting mistakes. Your integrity is reflected in your honest choices.
2. Caring, compassionate and accountable to anyone that we serve. We strive to put the needs of others before our own. We strive to do what is best for the individual and the community.
3. Respect for all individuals that visit the Sherman Lake YMCA. We provide opportunities for individuals of all backgrounds to experience a safe learning environment where everyone is encouraged to grow.
4. Be an active contributing member of the community and take responsibility for all the roles you play as a counselor, mentor, friend, and learner
5. Create, model and implement inclusive accommodations.
6. Demonstrate all skills and lessons taught during the training week.
7. An age minimum of 21 years.
8. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
9. Experience working with youth in related experience.
10. Preferable experience in summer youth development camping.
11. Demonstrates an ability to work effectively with children and families.
12. Ability to lift and carry 40 lbs if needed.
13. Demonstrates good communication skills.
14. Will be able to work in a Day and/or Overnight Camp setting without interruption, available from Noon Sunday - 7pm Friday.
15. Certification in First Aid and in Infant, Child, and Adult CPR. (Additional lifesaving certification is preferred).
The Inclusion Counselor positions require each person to:
1. Live by and teach the Four Principles of the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center: Honesty, Caring, Respect, and Responsibility.
2. Maintain the health and safety of campers, members, and participants. It is the #1 priority of the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center at all times.
3. Create, model and implement inclusive accommodations.
4. Attend Mandatory staff training which will be anywhere from 6-10 days in length. Demonstrate all skills and lessons taught during the training week.
5. Assist the campers, members, and participants as they increase their understanding of their natural and social environments.
6. Ensure that all applicable YMCA, ACA (American Camp Association), local, state, and federal regulations are fulfilled.
7. Arrange special activities for groups of children.
8. Recognize campers, members, and participants for their personal growth, exemplary behavior, and skill attainment.
9. Guide and direct campers, members, and participants toward their potential by creating a loving and supportive environment.
10. Actively participate in teaching and assisting in activities.
11. Be flexible and assist in any and all areas of the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center as needed and directed.
12. Provide program leadership by being prepared at all times to teach a variety of camp activities.
Please note: Camp is often unpredictable. There will be times when you will be requested to help in addition to your principle activities.
Effect on End Results:
The effectiveness of all Overnight Counselors is measured in part by:
1. The number of campers that are positively affected by your abilities to counsel.
2. Inclusion is the norm for any camp group. All campers and counselors are comfortable, interacting and participating.
3. Children displaying an increase in their ability to positively communicate with their parents/family.
4. The achievement of the goals and objectives of the Sherman Lake YMCA Outdoor Center.
5. YMCA Campers, Members, and Participants having a happy, safe, and rewarding experience.
6. Each Staff member and Volunteer having a rewarding growth experience.
7. Positive formal and informal performance reviews.