Swim Lesson Policies
Please arrive on pool deck no earlier than 5 minutes before class begins.
Children should use the restroom before entering the pool.
Children MUST shower with soap and water before entering the pool.
Street shoes are NOT allowed on the pool deck.
Children 3-7 years old must have a parent present (balcony or lobby viewing area) during class to take their child to the restroom or in case of emergency.
Children under the age of 14 may NOT be left unsupervised within the SLYMCA facility.
Parents are not permitted on the pool deck during swim lessons. You may observe from the pool balcony or the lobby viewing area.
Children under 3 years of age or anyone with uncontrollable bowels MUST wear a water-tight swim diaper in order to maintain a sanitary environment.
All changing of clothes and diapers MUST occur in the locker room.
Children with a gastrointestinal infection or virus should not enter the pool or attend swim lessons.
Please explain the SLYMCA pool rules to your child – they will be expected to follow these rules during swim lessons.
Children exhibiting inappropriate behavior will be placed in time-out. On the third incident, the child will be dismissed from that day’s lesson. No refunds or credits will be issued for behavioral situations.
Refunds and Credits
Refunds or credits will not be issued unless a class series has been cancelled.
Credits will not be issued after the second class unless accompanied by a doctor’s note.
Credits or refunds may not be issued for weather-related cancellations.
- Shower before entering the pool.
- Walk on the pool deck and in the locker rooms.
- Wear proper swim attire at all times. Street clothes (including cotton t-shirts) are not permitted in the pool.
- Remove your shoes before entering the pool area.
- Ensure that your infant is wearing a swim diaper.
- Keep pool toys and Personal Flotation Devices (PFDs) in the shallow end of the pool, not the lap lanes or deep end.
- Use water fitness equipment only during classes or in lap lanes.
- Check with the lifeguard to ensure that your PFD is U.S. Coast Guard-approved - these are the only PFDs allowed in the pool.
Please DO NOT:
- Swim without a SLYMCA lifeguard present.
- Bring food, gum or beverages in the pool area.
- Use the pool under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or tobacco.
- Practice breath-holding activities, including extended underwater swimming.
Age Guidelines and Swim Quest Policies:
- Children age 0-6: Must be within arm's reach of an adult (age 18+) at all times - no exceptions. Children age 0-6 may not use the AquaClimb or diving board.
- Children age 7-13: May take the Swim Quest with a SLYMCA lifeguard. Children who pass the Swim Quest may use the pool without parent/guardian present, but must be signed in at the pool. Children ages 7-13 who do NOT pass the Swim Quest must have an adult (age 18+) on the pool deck at all times who is ready to enter the water.
- Children 14 and up: May use the pool without taking the Swim Quest, and may participate in water fitness classes.